TOP 10 FACTS ABOUT MERCEDES BENZ YOU DIDNT KNOW
October 19, 2016 at 10:24 AM
1) The brand Mercedes Benz was first used in 1926 when Benz & Cie merged with Daimler Motoren Gesellschaft. The name is derived from the last name of Karl Benz, the inventor of the first gasoline powered automobile, and Mercedes, which was a brand Daimler used for its cars.
2) Mercedes Benz produced are pioneers, manufacturing one of the first diesel engined production passenger cars in existence, the Mercedes 260 D. This model came to be associated with the Nazi regime as Mercedes were compelled to manufacture cars for the ruling party during the Second World War.
3) Every Mercedes car is welded in 10,000 places. This decision was taken in order to reduce the possibility of nuts and bolts loosening over time, just one detail that Mercedes cars have that helps ensure quality and longevity.
4) Mercedes Sprinter Vans are built in Germany, disassembled and then shipped to the U.S.A. to be reassembled into Dodge and Mercedes Vans that are commonly seen on American roads. The reason for this is to circumvent the Chicken Tax signed into being by president Johnson in 1963 which imposed a 25% tariff on light trucks imported into the U.S. This was a response to taxes placed on U.S. chicken by France and Germany.
5) Mercedes' top of the range sports car the SLS AMG coupe is so well designed and generates so much down-force that it can be driven upside down in a tunnel, as was demonstrated by German driving ace Michael Schumacher in 2010 in an ad for the company.
6) The current Popemobile, that less-than-beautiful machine that ferries the pontiff around to his various engagements, is based on a Mercedes ML. The Pope is chauffeured in a custom built two door Mercedes ML 430 with an in-built hydraulic system to raise his seat so his adoring faithful can view him.
7) Every Mercedes is given four coats of paint and in between each coat the car is hand-polished. The final coat, which is salt resistant to ensure a long lasting finish, is done by hand and gives the car a luscious soft finish.
8) The famous Mercedes logo which adorns every one of their cars symbolizes the ambition of universal motorisation. They hoped to provide transport on land, on water and in the air.
9) Steve Jobs, known for being the face of American technology giant Apple, only ever traveled by Mercedes. His model of choice was a Mercedes Benz SL 55 AMG and he was seen cruising around California in a pristine new model every six months. He also never had license plates on his car, as his agreement with the dealership to update his car every six months allowed him a grace period in which he didn't have to display plates.
10) Albania, that small and sometimes forgotten-about nation nestled away in the heart of Europe boasts the highest percentage of cars on the road made by the German company. 44% of all cars on Albanian roads are produced by Mercedes, more than any other country in the world.
Unit 7, Venture Court, Ackworth Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO3 5RY
Telephone: 02392 177424
Monday - Saturday 09:00 to 17:00
Sunday by Appointment Only
Please note we do not operate an organised distance selling scheme as defined by The Consumer Contracts (Cancellation, Information and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013. Therefore, even if you choose to not view your vehicle at our premises prior to purchase, you will not be entitled to cancel your order under any 14 day cancellation period. All other statutory rights remain unaffected.